Long Ball Hurting Matusz

OsandBohs11

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The home runs is the only thing that i'm worried about. The low walks is great, but i would like to see the home runs diminish

It is an absolute hitters league. Giving up home runs in this league is nothing to be concerned about. The key is throwing strikes and it appears he's doing that well, especially since he's probably not in peak condition.

How's Smoak doing?

Oh come on! I think Matusz was a better pick. After the season, we know why pitching is More important.

The best thing to do is develop pitchers and buy hitters. You know what can happen to FA pitchers. FA hitters are less of a risk.

(Except if you have a good hitter fall to you. Take the good hitter like Wieters)

I'm not sure I see what you guys are so down about. Two runs in five innings is great considering that the AFL is undisputably a hitters league and Matusz is seeing his first pro action EVER against AA+ guys. The home run totals are a bit dismaying, but considering that hitters are probably sitting on his fastball and nothing else, it's nothing to be worried about.

I would have liked to see him move to Bowie too given his Frederick numbers. But it's possible that Arrieta's numbers were better than he actually was. He knocked those high-A hitters dead, but maybe he could do that without having to polish his skills that much.

I think they are going to want clear, demonstrable improvement in certain things before a pitcher's promoted, regardless of the numbers he produces.And given the deplorable performance from just about every farm pitching product since Mussina (remember Liz and Olson?), I can't blame them for their caution.

Archived